Hospital Gardens and Chapel. Originally a medieval leper house, this group of grade2 listed stone buildings is set around a grass court in fine gardens. Located to the south west of Sherburn Village, take the A181 south. The hospital is to the north of the road a mile from the junction. Open from 10am - 3pm Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon
Any one with a keen sense of smell will have little difficulty in locating a group of sulphur springs which lie about one mile from the village and encouraged the development of Gainford Spa in the early 19th century. In 1834, the discovery of spa waters led to the development of the village as a health resort.
Like most spas, the placed fell into disuse and
the spa bowl was vandalised but it has recently been restored.
Various local activities have been planned to promote awareness of its
Beamish Open Air Museum. 200 acres of countryside accommodates a "heritage park" founded in 1970 and gives the visitor an idea of life in a north of England town at the turn of the twentieth century. There is an example of a dental surgery in the residence of the dentist, featuring a cast iron chair, treadle drill and a dental technician's workshop where sets of dentures are made. The museum is open between late March and October, Tuesdays - Sundays.