Mr Jeremiah Peirce
|Born in1696, Peirce became a Governor
of the hospital and remained senior surgeon there until 1761. Little is known of this manís background or how he
came to be elected to the original committee at a relatively early age. By 1738, Peirce was well established as a surgeon in Bath. A year before he had reported the
case of a patient with a tumour of the knee whose leg he had amputated. This was published by the Royal
Society of which Peirce was a fellow. He owned a tiny villa on the end of Lansdown, designed by John Wood and called Lilliput Castle.
It has since been extensively enlarged and called Battlefields.
Peirce died in 1765. He has a memorial plaque in St Swithin's Church, Walcot where he is interred along with the painter of the picture, William Hoare.
|Return to the complete picture||Return to Gazetteer|